The first work related post of ... the blog.
The basics of SEO are:
Accessibility (or site architecture) - can search engines crawl the site well, is everything as close to the first page as possible, is everything on the site unique. Good site architecture is a good first step in SEO as it makes the site easier for the search engines and users.
Quality content - Does the content provide some sort of value to the user? Does new content provide additional value? Does it attract links naturally? How can I improve upon the content? What differentiates my content from that of my competitors? This is basically marketing/branding/product development for those of you business minded individuals.
Link Building - What pages need links to rank better? Where can I find good quality, authority links? Can I optimize these links? Can I create additional link bait?
Those are the three main points of SEO - coupled with keyword research and targeting (that's basically knowing your audience and targeting your site to those people). What keywords can you target (and actually achieve rankings for)? If someone clicks on your site, are they going to have an authentic experience or are you just trying to capitalize on the traffic and leave them wanting?
Then of course, you need to track and report all this data. How is your linkage growing? Is your content working? How well? What can you improve upon? How is your site architecture holding up (is it getting your entire site indexed?). Etc.
This is my job. Joy.

No comments:
Post a Comment