My photo
Hi, I'm Danielle (a writer, digital marketer, casual runner, and whatever other labels you want to pick and choose from). I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a while until I publish my first best seller, so in the meantime, here are my thoughts on everything.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Logos and Che Guevara

I recently finished a book on the famous Alberto Korda image of Che Guevara - and how it became a globally recognized icon. I won't get into the politics of Che (except admit that I have a Che poster in my closet) - because he means something different to everyone. However, the commercialization of the Che brand is an interesting narrative. And he wouldn't be the icon he became without Castro's fantastic branding/public relations machine.

Korda's original photo:



Notice how much more powerful it becomes with a little cropping:



Jim Fitzpatrick's famous poster version of the image might be just as well known (if not more so). It's interesting he renounced the intellectual property rights to his work, unlike most of the other opportunistic 'communists' who use[d] Che's image for their own gains (notice the "F" for Fitzpatrick in the lower right corner):



I own Naomi Klein's No Logo - and it's gathering dust on my shelf since I haven't read it yet (but I should get around to it). It's leftist and anti-globalization too (much like Che) - so it should be interesting to get a different POV on branding/logos. Here's another rendition of the famous Che image, but with a little corporate commentary:



And just something to keep everything in perspective:

6 comments:

Les said...

Awesome blog.

As a logo designer I see this icon and no little about it's history. You've peaked my interest.

Curious if you've ever read Archetypes in Branding
A toolkit for Creatives and Strategist.



markson said...

And be sure to create a logo that can be reproduced in black and white so that it can be faxed, photocopied or used in a black-and-white ad as effectively as in color. logo design

Unknown said...


What a cool logo design! I have seen many logos around the world of graphics, but Che Guevara logo is utmost amazing.

Anonymous said...

Great work. But if you need professional service for your logo designing needs. You can always go for other service providers. Infinity Logo Design review are always positive when it comes to being creative and out of the box work.

Unknown said...

Danielle, you are fabulous, I always found you utmost creative. This
creative logo is showing your creativity. Thanks for the nudge!

Brook said...

Are you looking for unique and creative logo design, so we heartily welcomes you.