My photo
Hi, I'm Danielle (a writer, digital marketer, casual runner, and whatever other labels you want to pick and choose from). I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a while until I publish my first best seller, so in the meantime, here are my thoughts on everything.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

SEO v. Marketing

So not too long ago I ran into a couple of former marketing guys who now run a marketing/branding consulting company. I started talking to them about SEO and they joked about whether or not I was a black hat SEO guy (I'm not). But essentially what they came to say, and what I agreed with, is that SEO for the sake of manipulating rankings is worthless because it doesn't really form a connection with the users. Engaging content, awesome products, and authentic experiences do (iPods/iPhones/Blackberry, GI Joes/Transformers/LEGO, Nintendo, GooseBumps/HardyBoys/Nancy Drew/Harry Potter, etc.).

Here's a good blog post by some marketing whiz that says this a lot better than I could.

I found that link from the blog of another digital marketing whiz, Dave Churbuck (who does the digital marketing for LENOVO). He has some great stuff, but I'll let you find it yourself.

The moral of the story is, one shouldn't be thinking of SEO only in terms of ranks & traffic - but what it actually does for the user, which is help them connect with something that they want/need/will come to love.

No comments: