My photo
Hi, I'm Danielle (a writer, digital marketer, casual runner, and whatever other labels you want to pick and choose from). I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a while until I publish my first best seller, so in the meantime, here are my thoughts on everything.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Interactive Marketing, or, BOOM goes the dynamite

These days, I get a bit of my information/analysis about marketing, and interactive marketing in particular, via my Twitter account (twitter.com/loosebricks) and today I received an update that the new Forrester Research 5-year interactive marketing forecast is available.

Long story short, it looks as though "advertising is going to change forever" (of course, people have been saying for the last 20-30 years that soccer will catch on in the United States, and that has yet to happen). But I do believe that a lot more interaction and customer engagement is going to take place online.

The full report can be read here but if you don't have $1,999 to plunk down on it, try reading an introduction to the report by Forrest Research VP Josh Bernoff. The big idea is that "overall advertising budgets will decline. Yep. With dollars moving out of traditional media toward less expensive and more efficient interactive tools, marketers will actually need less money to accomplish their current advertising goals."

Look at the auto industry for example. They've pulled out of (or severely reduced) their spends on just about every form of advertising. And their brilliant new idea? Sell the cars on eBay. I just can't wait to take my first virtual test drive!

No comments: