My photo
Hi, I'm Danielle (a writer, digital marketer, casual runner, and whatever other labels you want to pick and choose from). I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a while until I publish my first best seller, so in the meantime, here are my thoughts on everything.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Exciting Time in Sports

So, the past week (and the upcoming one) are an exciting period in sports. Yes, I know that college basketball has now been over for a little more than two months, and that college football and the NFL won't start for another two and a half - but the summer isn't necessarily a complete dead zone (a la Verizon) for sports fanatics.

This past week had probably the 2nd best hockey game I've ever seen, with a thrilling Stanley Cup Final Game 7 between the Penguins and the Red Wings. For those of you wondering, the best game ever was the Miracle on Ice, the thrilling 1980 medal round game between the USA and the communist USSR hockey juggernaut.

Then there were the NBA Finals, which was the 4th NBA title for Kobe Bryant (though one could make the argument he should have been co-MVP with Gasol) - which even though the Lakers won the series 4-1, change a few plays and the two teams are still playing with the Magic up 3-2. It would've been better had the Cavs made the finals, but that's because I'm a homer for all Cleveland franchises.

The MLB draft took place - and the Cleveland Indians landed my fellow Tar Heel Alex White, which I'm super stoked about because the Indians could always use more pitching (though right now, I think they could use more of anything they can get their hands on). Dustin Ackley, now the UNC record holder in career hits, went #2 overall to Seattle - so it was pretty cool to see two Tar heels go in the first 15 picks.

And then finally, this week, we have the US Open. While one can't expect for their to be the same level of drama as last year's - it should be a pretty exciting event to watch. Will Tiger resume his major form? Or will Phil rally around his wife's cancer and play the tournament of his life? Or perhaps someone completely different (but not Sergio, because he can't win for shit) will emerge victorious from the field (perhaps Rocco Mediate gets his, one year later?). Regardless, I'll be following the PGA leaderboard all weekend long.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

blah blah sports blah blah blahhhhhhh

c'mon Squirtle amp it up a little! :P