Recently I've stumbled upon a couple of golf websites, GolfHoles.com and ExoticGolfPutters.com. From an aesthetic standpoint, both of these sites look like they're circa Microsoft Frontpage 1999-2001, though the latter looks vaguely reminiscent of.... the movie Alien? I mean, neon green text on a black background? Seriously?
But I digress - I mention these sites not to criticize these small, single man operations, but rather to point out how the web is changing (or has already changed). Now, I'm not going to wax poetic about how great life on 14.4kbps dial up internet connections was because it wasn't. But back then, people were amazed by the idea of connecting with other people. Whether it was a car part, a line of code for a program, a tip to help with your golf swing - there was a web community (and even a website ring) that was focused on even specific niches (such as car models, code languages, etc.)
Now most of the sites you find along these topics are monetized sites run by a group of guys who figured out how to turn their hobbies into a second income OR a company that does the exact same thing. Neither of these options is inherently worse than the "for the love of the game" option - and doesn't imply a better/worse user experience either.
BUT it does mean that instead of connecting with an individual - you're now connecting with an organization/company - and that is a very different conversation.

1 comment:
It is funny how you sometimes stumble upon old ugly looking websites that seem have frozen in time. With the tools available today and places such as 99 Designs offering cheap design services, why wouldn't you improve the site? I also find that in some cases those are "old school" type companies, like manufacturers, foundries, and others that really don't sell anything via the web or have very little online interaction.
Still, a face lift is sometimes required!
Post a Comment